Thursday, February 26, 2009

No Job and No Health Insurance, the Rising Cost of Medical Care

No Health Insurance

Pain

Pain

I am healthy. I play basketball, I jog miles every day, I eat right, I don't smoke (anything), I don't drink and I always feel great. So, when I was laid off from my job, I didn't buy the health insurance through Cobra. Anyway, everyone knows that medical care costs are through the roof and health insurance premiums are right behind them and with my rather modest paying, new, part-time job, I can't afford stuff like that. So I will just keep on being healthy.

The pain is worse every day

The pain started in my side and was a low grade 'niggle' that I ignored for a couple of hours. It persisted so when I got home from work I took a couple of Tylenols with a glass of water. It got worse. At about 10 I took more pills and drank another glass of water. Pain gets worse. I went to bed and even fell into a half sleep. At 2 am I screamed for the first time. I dragged myself to the door, found a cab and told him to rush me to the emergency room of the hospital.

In the ER

By now I was screaming continuously. The doctor listened to me, poked around and told me to empty my bladder and not flush the toilet. He went in to check and came out saying, "your urine's full of blood. You've probably got a kidney stone. Don't panic, it's not life threatening." I screamed louder. I also noticed that the pain had moved lower. "Good sign, said the doctor, it's on the way out. Spend the night here and we'll see what's going on in the morning. Turn over. This shot will stop the pain." ... click here to read the rest of the article titled "No Job and No Health Insurance, the Rising Cost of Medical Care"

No comments: